Select Page


Bellurgan see off Rock Celtic to advance to Clancy Cup semi-finals

Bellurgan see off Rock Celtic to advance to Clancy Cup semi-finals

Bellurgan Utd booked their place in the Clancy Cup semi-finals at the weekend with an impressive 3-0 victory away to Rock Celtic at Sandy Lane.

In what was an absorbing contest, the visitors progressed due to taking the chances that came their way.

Inside two minutes Bellurgan were ahead with Declan ‘Bomber’ Sharkey striking home from close range.

Rock squandered some guilt-edged chances to get on the score sheet before Pat Lynch extended Bellurgan’s lead in the 22nd minute.

The second half saw Rock pressing hard to get back in the game but poor finishing and good goalkeeping by Sean O’Hare in the Bellurgan nets denied them the breakthrough.

A Shane O’Brien tap-in the 62nd min sealed victory for the peninsula side.

Both teams had opportunities to find the net in the last 15 minute but excellent goalkeeping by Rock’s David Hayes and the forwards’ penchant for wasting chances meant no further scores were chalked up.

The game was filmed and the excellent skills and sportsmanship on view were a credit to both Clubs and the Dundalk and District League.

In the other quarter-finals Rampart Celtic advanced to the last four with an 8-7 penalty shoot-out victory over Fane FC.

The game had finished 1-1. Chad McEneaney had given the Fane a lead a minute before half-time but Rampart equalised from the penalty spot two minutes into the second half.

After five penalties it was 4-4, with sudden death then ensuing. The unlucky person to miss turned out to be Aidan McGuinness, whose penalty struck the crossbar.

Elsewhere Quay Celtic advanced to the last four with a 5-1 win over local rivals Glenmuir FC. Ronan Cunningham scored a hat-trick for the Clancy Park side with Sean Murphy and Ruairi Cooney also on target. Dylan Martin got what proved to be just a consolation for Glenmuir.

Finally, Redeemer Celtic were 4-0 winners over Muirhevnamor in their quarter-final tie. Paddy O’Connell broke the deadlock early on for Rampart before an unfortunate own goal by Martin Malone doubled their advantage in the 46th minute.

They then made it 3-0 through Thomas Daley on 85 minutes with Ryan McDonald wrapping up a comprehensive win for Redeemer in the 90th minute.