Select Page


Dundalk keep the pressure on table-toppers with back-to-back wins over Coolmine


Club-CrestDundalk RFC got back to winning ways in the Leinster League Division 1A on Friday night when they travelled to Coolmine and beat the hosts 27-23.

The Mill Road men ensured they made it six wins out of seven to keep the pressure on league leaders Wanderers, who beat them in their last outing at Lansdowne Road.

Dundalk got off to a dream start when Isaia Petelo got over for a try, which Ultan Murphy converted. Murphy and fell out-half Donal Crotty then exchanged two penalties each to lead 13-6 at the break.

The visitors grabbed a second try just before the break when good work from Jonathan Williams saw him play a pivotal role in setting up Owen McNally for a second try, which again Murphy converted.

That left it 20-6 but a converted try from Coolmine ensured they cut the deficit to 20-13 at half-time.

Dundalk restored their advantage with another McNally try and Murphy conversion putting them 27-13 ahead shortly after the restart.

However, Coolmine fought back to close the gap to four after taking advantage of Petelo being sin-binned.

It was Dundalk who finished the stronger, however, and they were unlucky not to get across the line late on for what would have been a bonus point try.

Next up for Dundalk is Portadown away in the quarter-final of the AIL Cup this Saturday.

Dundalk: U. Murphy, R’O Hagan, I. Petelo, MJ McKevitt, O. McNally, J. Williams, T. Campbell, J. McConnon, B. Hadden, S. Martin, C. O’Hanlon, M. Bentley, J.Smith, J. Gray, R. Farrell Subs: C. Brannigan, L. Steen, E. Faatau, S. Murphy, J. Shields

There was also good news for Dundalk 2nds at the weekend as they beat Coolmine 21-16 to inflict a first defeat of the season on the tabletoppers and close the gap on them to five points.

A try and penalty from James Shields had Dundalk 8-0 ahead early on before two Coolmine penalties cut the deficit back to two. Shields added a further penalty after that before Kieran Lenehan got over for a second try before the break to leave it 16-6 at the interval.

Two unconverted tries on the restart had Coolmine level, however, but a second Lenehan try with seven minutes remaining ensured Dundalk took the victory.

Dundalk 2nds: Errol Boyle, Robert Shields, James Shields, Kieran Lenehen, Pearse Campbell, Donal Clare, Simon Byrne, Connor Williams, Sean Arrowsmith, Stephen Soreghen, Connor Kane, Brian Crosbie, Diarmuid  Sloane, John McGahon, Greg Whately. Subs Vincent Perez, Will Lauaki.