Reduction in age limit at Minor Injuries Unit in Dundalk delayed yet again
The reduction in the age limit for patients at the Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) at the Louth County Hospital in Dundalk has been delayed yet again.
That’s according to local Sinn Féin councillor Anne Campbell, who claimed in a statement this afternoon that it could be as late as the end of September before the age limit is reduced from its current limit of 14 to five.
Last November Health Minister Simon Harris announced that the reduction was due to happen in February of this year but this failed to occur. A renewed date of June was promised but according to Cllr Campbell, this will not now happen next month.
She said: “It could now be as late as the end of September before the MIU will be in a position to drop the age limit from its current 14 years to five.”
The news came after Cllr Campbell asked a question about the facility at the Regional Health Forum meeting in Kells on Monday.
She said: “Sinn Féin TD Gerry Adams, along with Cllr Tomás Sharkey, and I have been consistently asking when the MIU will drop the age limit after it was announced by Health Minister Simon Harris as far back as February last year.
“In November, when the Fine Gael leadership was in Louth, it was announced with a great fanfare that this would happen in the first quarter of 2018 but when that deadline passed, both Gerry Adams and I continued to ask when it would happen.
“We were subsequently told in March that the plan was to have the reduction in place by the end of June, but following my question to the RSCI Hospital Group, who run the Louth County, it has been revealed that it could be as late as September this year.
“This is a dreadful state of affairs for parents in the area, like myself, who have children under the current 14 years limit. Dozens and dozens are faced with travelling to Drogheda again this summer, despite the promises from Minister Harris and the Fine Gael party. Apart from anything else, lowering the age limit would alleviate the pressure on Drogheda hospital which is already overloaded and at breaking point.
“We will continue to press for the earliest possible introduction of this service and I intend to raise it once more at the next health forum meeting in July, where I will be asking what exactly the RCSI has been doing for the past 16 months to put this important measure in place. I hope Minister Harris didn’t think he would make a grand announcement to grab a positive headline and then people would forget about it, because I can assure him, I am not letting this go. I will continue to pursue this until such times that 5 year old can be treated at the MIU in Louth Hospital.”